In British Columbia, your commercial vehicle must be inspected for safety before you get registered, licensed, and insured. Unlike private vehicles, commercial vehicles must be inspected immediately. You don’t get a 30-day grace period for the safety inspection. Time is of the essence when you move a commercial vehicle to BC! And BC also requires commercial vehicles to get periodic safety inspections.
Commercial vehicles mandated for the BC safety inspection:
- Commercial Vehicles with a licensed gross vehicle weight greater than 8,200 kg
- Commercial Trailers
- Vehicles operating under the authority of the Passenger Transportation Act (limousine, bus, taxi)
- Emergency vehicles with a licensed gross vehicle weight greater than 8,200 kg
- Industrial machines (X-plated) with a licensed gross vehicle weight greater than 17,300 kg
- Farm Vehicles
- Farm vehicles with a licensed gross vehicle weight greater than 17,300 kg
- School Buses
- Vehicles issued a Notice and Order for Inspection
Inspections done in British Columbia are recognized in jurisdictions across Canada and some jurisdictions outside of Canada.
Vancouver Axle and Frame is a Designated Inspection Facility for the Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program of BC facility. Safety inspections are the government’s way of keeping our roads free of unsafe commercial vehicles. The inspections are done by private mechanics at designated inspection facilities authorized by the B.C. Ministry of Transportation.
The safety inspection will determine whether your vehicle complies with the standards for commercial motor vehicles and whether your frame has been compromised.
If your vehicle fails, we’ll recommend fixes to allow you to pass on re-inspection.
We use the Vehicle Inspection Manual (Standards of Safety and Repair) to comply with section 25 of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulation. What this means for you: We follow the most current safety and inspection standards legislated by British Columbia.
What do we check in a commercial vehicle safety inspection?
- Power Train
- Brakes (Hydraulic or Air)
- Instruments, Auxiliary Equipment
- Electrical System
- Body and Frame
- Tires and Wheels
- Couplers and Hitches
- Special Use Vehicle Components
We are a certified inspection facility for commercial vehicles, and we take our duty seriously. We’ll give your vehicle a thorough inspection. We won’t tell you to fix anything that’s not broken.
All of our work is certified provincially and federally, and we are authorized to certify the safety of your vehicle with Transport Canada’s National Safety Mark (NSM). We do safety inspections right! We inspect your commercial vehicles, from taxis to buses to heavy-duty trucks and more. Contact us NOW to discuss your commercial vehicle safety inspection.